Continua of Care
In order to coordinate activities to meet the needs of individuals and families who are experiencing homelessness and apply for federal funds, community partners come together to form a continuum of care.
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Definition of Continuum of Care:
North Carolina has 12 Continua of Care:
- Asheville/Buncombe Co.
- Chapel Hill/Orange County
- Charlotte/Mecklenburg County
- Durham/Durham County
- Fayetteville/Cumberland County
- Gastonia/Cleveland/Gaston/Lincoln Counties
- Greensboro/High Point/Guilford County
- Northwest NC CoC
- Raleigh/Wake County
- Wilmington/Brunswick/New Hanover/Pender Counties
- Winston-Salem-Forsyth Co.
- North Carolina Balance of State CoC
CoC Applications and Awards
Homeless assistance providers apply through their Continuum of Care for HUD funding for transitional housing, permanent housing, Shelter+Care, and HMIS projects.
In North Carolina, the structure of continua varies amongst our communities. Some cities and counties assign staff to assist the continuum while other communities ask organizations to volunteer their time.
View the most recent list of North Carolina's CoC Lead Contacts (updated 9/7/12)
More Resources on Understanding Continua of Care: