Resources for SOAR Caseworkers
The resources below are for trained SOAR caseworkers in North Carolina. If you have questions about any of these resources, please email Emily Carmody.
NC SOAR Caseworker Dialogue Group
NC SOAR Caseworker Password-Protected Webpage
National SOAR Program
Policy Research Associates (PRA) manages the national SOAR program in all 50 states. Check out their website for great webinars, program ideas, and tools. They also have an online SOAR training that is useful for reviewing SOAR basics.
Updated Mental Health Listings
In October 2016 SSA announced that they will start to use updated mental health listings for cases filed after and in process as of January 17, 2017. The updated listings reflect updated medical knowledge, updates to language to reflect the DSM-V, and public comments from a 2010 proposal.
SOAR caseworkers need to familiarize themselves with the new listings and the changes to functional categories.
- For a general overview of the changs, follow this link to a webinar by the national SOAR program.
- Detailed articles about listing categories:
- Mental Disorder Listing 12.02-12.04
- Mental Disorder Listing 12.05-12.07
- Mental Disorder Listing 12.08-12.11
- Mental Disorder Listing 12.12-12.15
- Detailed articles about functioning categories:
- Understand, Remember, or Apply Information
- Interact with Others
- Concentrate, Persist or Maintain Pace
- Adapt or Manage Oneself
- Sample Functional Descriptions and Sample Medical Summary Reports
Medical Summary Report Scorecard
SOAR for Pending Cases and AppealsSOAR caseworkers can be effective advocates for individuals who have already submitted an application for SSI/SSDI benefits or have recently had an application for benefits denied. To find out more about how a SOAR caseworker can assist applicants with pending cases or appeals, check out these resources:
- Tips for Pending Cases and Appeals: This document explains how SOAR caseworkers can advocate at any level of the application process.
- SOAR Representation for Appeals: This issue brief from the national SOAR program takes an in-depth look at the appeals process and how SOAR caseworkers can advocate at each level.
Outreach Tool for Physicians
HIPAA Compliance Questions
Information about Blue Book Listings
The Social Security Blue Book, or Disability Evaluation Under Social Security, provides physicians and other professionals with an overview of the disability programs administered by the Social Security Administration. Listings in the Blue Book outline medical and mental health conditions and criteria that Disablity Determination Services uses to evaluate if applicants are disabled.
To find the Adult listings, you can follow this link to the Social Security website. To see a more detailed description of mental health listings, check out this slide presentation with details about the mental health listings.
Changes to SSA Policy for Justice-Involved Applicants
NC SOAR Medical Records Database
NC SOAR Caseworker Certification
- Read the requirements for NC SOAR Caseworker Certification
- Every Medical Summary Report that is submitted for certification will be evaluated using the Medical Summary Report Scorecard. Caseworkers will be provided a copy of the completed scorecard for each report, and NCCEH will review scores with caseworkers.
- Complete the NC SOAR Caseworker Exam (required for Provisional Certification)
- Complete the NC SOAR Caseworker Evaluation and Assessment (required for Final Certification)
SOAR Referral and Screening Tools
Have you completed a disability application or are you in the process? Let us know!
Download the NC SOAR Outcome Reporting Tool
Fill out our online NC SOAR Outcome Reporting Form
Everything you'll need to complete one application with a client, all in one place:
SSA & DDS Forms, Applications and Important Information
Worksheets from the Training Manual
|Applicant Tracking Worksheet||word doc|
|Interview Guide and Template||word doc|
|Medical Evidence Worksheet||word doc|
|Medical Information for SSI/SSDI||word doc|
|SSI Benefits and Work Worksheet||word doc|
|SSI & SSDI Non-Medical Documentation Checklist||word doc|
|Substance Use Worksheet||word doc|